Mastodon Skip to content
live markets
S&P 5007,674.37▲ 2.20%NASDAQ26,179.94▲ 1.33%DOW53,178.02▲ 1.83%GOLD4,675.00▲ 14.83%WTI87.17▲ 2.66%BRENT94.63▲ 3.98%EUR/USD1.1686▲ 2.35%USD/JPY158.98▼ 2.16%DXY98.83▼ 2.32%BTC$77,466▲ 7.00%ETH$2,423▲ 3.70%SOL$91.67▲ 5.00%TOTAL CRYPTO$2.61T▲ 2.29%
pulseofnations.
UTC --:--NYC --:--LON --:--WAW --:-- bluesky ↗ Join the wire

Oil prices steady after Houthi strike on Saudi port

Benchmark crude held near $83 per barrel after a Houthi drone attack damaged a major Red Sea port facility, raising fears of renewed supply disruptions.

Partner Surfshark VPN

Oil prices held firm on Friday after Houthi forces claimed responsibility for a drone strike on a key Saudi port facility along the Red Sea, reigniting concerns about energy supply disruptions in the volatile Middle East.

Brent crude was trading at $83.14 per barrel in early London hours, up 0.8 percent from the previous close, while West Texas Intermediate hovered around $78.60. The modest gains reflected uncertainty about whether the attack would cause lasting damage to Saudi export infrastructure or whether Riyadh would retaliate in kind.

Attack details

Houthi spokesperson Yahya Saree said the drones targeted the port of Yanbu, a critical terminal for Saudi Arabia’s western oil export corridor. The Saudi energy ministry confirmed “limited damage” to a storage depot but said crude loading operations continued uninterrupted. Satellite imagery reviewed by Reuters showed scorch marks near a secondary tank but no visible disruption to the main jetty.

The attack marked the first confirmed Houthi strike on Saudi energy infrastructure in several months, following a period of relative calm since a mediated truce between Riyadh and the group took hold earlier this year.

Market implications

Analysts said the market reaction was muted because Saudi Arabia moved quickly to assure traders of operational continuity. “The key variable is whether Riyadh views this as a one-off provocation or as a signal that the Houthis are re-escalating,” said Indra Rajan, a Middle East energy analyst at Wood Mackenzie. “If it is the latter, we could see Saudi Arabia resume military operations, which would be far more bullish for prices.”

The Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies are already managing output cuts of around 5 million barrels per day. Any unplanned reduction to Saudi supply could tighten the market further, particularly heading into the winter demand season in the Northern Hemisphere.

Yemen’s civil war remains unresolved despite years of international mediation. The Houthis, aligned with Iran, have repeatedly targeted Saudi infrastructure and Red Sea shipping lanes since the conflict began in 2014, though the frequency of attacks diminished following diplomatic efforts by Oman and the United States.

Sources: Reuters; Wood Mackenzie; Saudi Energy Ministry statement

React to this dispatch
Share this dispatch X WhatsApp Report an error

discussion

Join the discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next dispatch Oil Tracks Second Weekly Gain as US-Iran Tensions Persist Read →