South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed on Tuesday that the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise with the United States has been reduced from 11 days to five, ending on August 21, following an order from President Donald Trump.
Trump announced the decision on Sunday, directing the Pentagon to scale back what he called costly exercises that “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea. The president said Pyongyang “has been unthreatening and respectful” during his time in office, and that Seoul had declined to help cover the costs.
Trump Cites Cost and North Korea Relations
In a social media post, Trump said the exercise was not only expensive but counterproductive to his diplomatic efforts. The Ulchi Freedom Shield drill, which began on August 17, had originally been planned for 11 days involving 18,000 South Korean troops. South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back told reporters the allies are also moving to cancel the second phase of the drills, which had been expected to involve counterattack operations after an initial defensive phase.
Trump has repeatedly pressed South Korea to pay more for the 28,500 American troops stationed on its soil. The scaling back of exercises has drawn sharp criticism from US lawmakers, with some Democrats calling the move a concession to Pyongyang that weakens the alliance.
Alliance Under Strain Amid Iran Tensions
The decision comes at a sensitive time for the US-South Korea alliance. Reuters reported on Tuesday that South Korea’s defense minister suggested Trump appears to be pressuring Seoul over its investments in Iran, adding another layer of tension to the relationship. Meanwhile, North Korea denounced the drills on Monday through state media outlet KCNA, even as they were being scaled back.
The reduction echoes Trump’s first term, when he suspended large-scale exercises after his 2018 summits with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. South Korea restored the full exercises in 2022 under President Yoon Suk-yeol, but Trump’s return to office has reignited concerns about the durability of the alliance’s military readiness.
Washington Post analysis noted that the drills are central to the US-South Korea alliance, preparing forces for potential conflict with North Korea. With the exercise now cut in half, defense analysts warn the reduced training window could impact joint operational readiness on the peninsula.
Sources: Al Jazeera; Washington Post; Reuters
discussion