Skip to content
live markets
S&P 5007,785.76▲ 3.21%NASDAQ26,729.16▲ 2.38%DOW53,732.41▲ 2.33%GOLD4,453.50▲ 10.99%WTI81.82▼ 0.81%BRENT88.37▲ 0.31%EUR/USD1.1606▲ 1.41%USD/JPY158.94▼ 2.12%DXY99.41▼ 1.33%BTC$63,545▲ 0.90%ETH$1,904▲ 1.40%SOL$75.81▲ 0.60%TOTAL CRYPTO$2.27T▲ 0.71%
pulseofnations.
UTC --:--NYC --:--LON --:--WAW --:-- telegram ↗ bluesky ↗ Join the wire

Trump Cuts Joint Drills With South Korea, Citing Kim Ties

President Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale back annual military exercises with South Korea, citing his good relationship with North Korea and Seoul’s refusal to help with Iran.

Partner Surfshark VPN

President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, hours before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills were set to begin, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to participate in the war against Iran.

Trump announced the decision in a Truth Social post on Sunday evening, saying he had directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to scale back the drills that were scheduled to run from August 17 through August 27. The exercises were to involve approximately 18,000 South Korean troops alongside US counterparts, with a heightened focus on drone warfare, GPS disruption, and cyber attack scenarios.

Ties to Iran War and North Korea Diplomacy

In his announcement, Trump drew a direct link between the exercise reduction and South Korea’s refusal to join the US-led military campaign against Iran. “I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!'” Trump wrote.

He also described North Korea under Kim Jong Un as having been “unthreatening and respectful” throughout his presidency, adding that the joint exercises “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” toward Pyongyang. Trump noted that the drills are costly, with much of the expense borne by the United States.

Seoul Responds, Pyongyang Stays Silent

South Korea’s defense ministry responded by saying the joint drills would “proceed as previously notified and scheduled,” suggesting Seoul had not been consulted before the announcement. The US Forces Korea said it had received no updated guidance on the exercises and would continue coordinating with South Korean partners.

Pyongyang has not yet commented publicly on Trump’s decision. The announcement comes just weeks after North Korea conducted ballistic missile tests that violated United Nations resolutions, raising concerns among US military officials about the growing battlefield experience of North Korean forces who have been deployed alongside Russian troops in Ukraine.

Before Trump’s announcement, Colonel Ryan Donald, spokesman for the US and South Korean Combined Forces Command, had described the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise as simulating combat against North Korean troops who have gained combat experience in the Russia-Ukraine war. That assessment underscored the tension between the administration’s diplomatic overtures to Pyongyang and intelligence warnings about North Korea’s evolving military capabilities.

Repeat of First-Term Pattern

The move echoes Trump’s first term, when he unilaterally suspended major joint exercises with South Korea during denuclearization talks with Kim Jong Un in 2018. Those talks ultimately collapsed without a deal, and the exercises were gradually restored under the Biden administration. Military analysts have warned that reducing the drills weakens the readiness of US and South Korean forces at a time when North Korea is expanding its conventional and cyber warfare capabilities.

The exercise reduction adds another layer of strain to the US-South Korea alliance, which has already been tested by Trump’s demands that Seoul increase its financial contributions for the stationing of approximately 28,500 US troops on the Korean Peninsula. The decision also raises questions about the future of the broader US alliance network in the Indo-Pacific as Washington simultaneously manages a naval blockade of Iran and tensions with China over Taiwan.

Sources: AP News; BBC; France 24; NBC News; The Guardian

React to this dispatch
Share this dispatch Telegram X WhatsApp Report an error

discussion

Join the discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next dispatch Hurricane Lala Batters Hawaii, One Dead in Flooding Read →