Zambia’s electoral commission suspended vote counting from the August 13 presidential and parliamentary elections for at least 24 hours after violence targeted polling staff and marked ballot papers were stolen from boxes, plunging the copper-rich nation into its worst electoral crisis in years.
The suspension, announced by chief electoral officer Brown Kasaro on August 14, came after reports of violence in multiple districts during what was meant to be a peaceful democratic exercise. “The violence is targeted at poll staff, and in some instances has resulted in the theft of marked ballot papers in ballot boxes,” Kasaro told reporters. The commission said it would review the suspension within 24 hours.
Opposition Claims Victory
Former minister Brian Mundubile, the main challenger to President Hakainde Hichilema, immediately seized on the delay to claim a first-round victory. “We have won this election both at presidential level and majority seats in parliament,” Mundubile told supporters. “We therefore view the continued delay in the transparent announcement and verification of presidential results with grave concern.”
Hichilema, who has been in power since 2021 after defeating the late Edgar Lungu in a landslide, faced off against Mundubile and 13 other contenders in an election widely seen as a referendum on his economic record. A late-2025 survey by the Zambia Election Research Network showed Hichilema leading with 55% of planned votes.
Observers Report Widespread Irregularities
International and domestic observers reported a pattern of intimidation and procedural irregularities that marred the vote. The Law Association of Zambia had already condemned acts of violence that accompanied the nomination process earlier in the year, warning that such conduct threatened the country’s long-standing democratic traditions.
Al Jazeera reported that observers described the election as marred by reports of intimidation and violence, with vote counting briefly suspended amid security threats to the electoral process. The commission’s chairwoman, Mwangala Zalomouis, said final election results would be released by Monday, August 18.
High Stakes for Southern Africa
The crisis carries implications far beyond Zambia’s borders. As one of southern Africa’s most stable democracies, the country’s 35-year record of peaceful elections had been a model for the region. A disputed outcome could set back democratic governance at a time when military coups and authoritarianism are on the rise across the continent.
Zambia’s economic trajectory is also at stake. Hichilema’s administration has pointed to improvements in foreign reserves, which reached $6.5 billion, and progress on debt restructuring following the country’s 2020 sovereign default. However, opposition parties argue that macroeconomic gains have not translated into relief for ordinary citizens facing high food prices and unemployment.
With results expected Monday, all eyes are on the Electoral Commission of Zambia as it navigates between the competing claims of the ruling United Party for National Development and the opposition Tonse Alliance led by Mundubile.
Sources: France 24; BBC News; Al Jazeera; CNBC Africa; Reuters
discussion