Skip to content
live markets
S&P 5007,745.06▲ 3.85%NASDAQ26,644.91▲ 4.41%DOW53,459.78▲ 2.52%GOLD4,473.10▲ 11.47%WTI84.95▲ 2.98%BRENT91.10▲ 3.41%EUR/USD1.1581▲ 1.19%USD/JPY159.41▼ 1.83%DXY99.58▼ 1.16%BTC$64,320▲ 2.00%ETH$1,905▲ 1.10%SOL$75.91▲ 1.00%TOTAL CRYPTO$2.28T▲ 1.61%
pulseofnations.
UTC --:--NYC --:--LON --:--WAW --:-- telegram ↗ bluesky ↗ Join the wire

Trump Scales Back Joint Exercises With South Korea Over Iran

Trump ordered the Pentagon to cut joint military drills with South Korea, citing Seoul’s refusal to help with the Iran war, raising concerns about the decades-old alliance.

Partner Surfshark VPN

President Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to scale back annual joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the ally declined to help with the U.S. war effort against Iran, in a move that analysts warn could weaken the decades-old security alliance in Northeast Asia.

The directive came as the two nations were preparing for the Ulchi Freedom Guardian series, one of the largest bilateral military drills on the Korean Peninsula. According to a U.S. defense official, the exercises are now expected to be reduced to small-unit training and potentially virtual components, rather than the full-scale joint operations originally planned.

Seoul’s Balancing Act

South Korea has walked a careful line since the Iran war began in late February, seeking to maintain its relationship with Washington while avoiding entanglement in a Middle East conflict that does not directly threaten Korean security interests. Seoul’s government has declined repeated U.S. requests to contribute naval assets or logistical support to operations near the Strait of Hormuz.

The decision to curtail military exercises comes amid a broader reassessment of U.S. force posture in the Indo-Pacific. The United States pulled its last aircraft carrier from Asian waters earlier this month to redeploy to the Middle East, leaving a temporary gap in naval coverage across the Pacific.

Trump has repeatedly questioned the value of maintaining large-scale military commitments in Asia while the Iran war drains resources. He has also criticized South Korea for not contributing enough to the alliance, echoing complaints from his first term about defense cost-sharing arrangements.

Alliance Implications

Analysts said the move, while not unprecedented, sends a concerning signal at a time when North Korea continues to advance its ballistic missile and nuclear programs. Pyongyang conducted its most recent missile test in July, and intelligence assessments suggest it is preparing for another launch.

The U.S. stations approximately 28,500 troops in South Korea under a mutual defense treaty dating to the 1953 Korean War armistice. Joint exercises are considered essential for maintaining interoperability between U.S. and Korean forces and for deterring North Korean aggression.

“Reducing the scope of exercises at a moment of heightened regional tension is a risky trade-off,” said a Seoul-based defense analyst. “It saves resources for the Middle East but erodes readiness on the Korean Peninsula.”

South Korea’s Defense Ministry confirmed it had been informed of the directive but did not elaborate on the revised exercise schedule. The ministry said the alliance remains “ironclad” and that both sides continue to coordinate closely on deterrence posture.

The scaled-back drills mirror a similar decision Trump made during his first term, when he suspended major exercises following his 2018 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, calling them “provocative” and too expensive.

Sources: Associated Press; Reuters; The Korea Herald; CNN

React to this dispatch
Share this dispatch Telegram X WhatsApp Report an error

discussion

Join the discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next dispatch Japan Q2 GDP Grows 1.1%, Missing Forecasts on Weak Consumption Read →