A US-sanctioned product tanker that transported Iranian petroleum products was hijacked in the Gulf of Aden on Wednesday and forced toward Somalia, as Somali piracy networks demonstrate growing reach across one of the world’s most critical shipping corridors.
UK Maritime Trade Operations reported that the 32,200 dwt Sibu 1 was boarded approximately 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla, Yemen, after broadcasting a distress call. Six armed men seized control of the vessel and redirected it toward Somalia. The ship’s Automatic Identification System transmitted the message “PIRATE ONBOARD HELP” before its course changed, according to maritime security sources cited by Splash247.
Shadow Fleet Connection
The tanker, previously named Seamull, was sanctioned by the US Treasury in December 2025 as part of Washington’s crackdown on Iran’s shadow fleet. US authorities said the vessel had transported Iranian petroleum products, including naphtha and gasoil, on multiple occasions and had called at Houthi-controlled Yemeni ports. The hijacking effectively removes a vessel from the sanctions-evasion network that Iran has relied on to circumvent Western economic restrictions during the ongoing war.
The incident follows Monday’s hijacking of the cargo ship Lutuf approximately four nautical miles south of Mareeyo on Somalia’s Puntland coast, when eight armed attackers boarded the vessel. Other ships seized off Somalia this year include the product tanker Honour 25 and general cargo vessel Sward, according to Lloyd’s List.
Piracy Resurgence Defies Monsoon Season
The resurgence in Somali piracy has continued despite the southwest monsoon, which normally makes offshore operations more difficult. Pirate groups have increasingly used captured fishing vessels and dhows as motherships, extending their operating range far beyond the Somali coastline. The European Union’s anti-piracy mission, Operation Atalanta, said the piracy resurgence that began in November 2023 had entered a more serious phase by April 2026.
Regional states have responded by agreeing to establish a Combined Djibouti Code of Conduct Task Force, creating a new mechanism for coordinated maritime security operations alongside existing international naval missions. The IMO has called for the release of 44 seafarers still held aboard three vessels seized in separate incidents between April and May.
“Vessels can only transit through Iran’s traffic separation scheme,” an Iranian military source told Fars News, underscoring how the Strait of Hormuz crisis continues to complicate shipping across the broader region.
The hijacking of a vessel specifically linked to Iran’s sanctions-evading shadow fleet adds a new dimension to the maritime security crisis. While the US-Iran war has disrupted Strait of Hormuz traffic since February 2026, the Gulf of Aden piracy surge creates a parallel threat to commercial shipping on the same route connecting Asian energy exporters to European and global markets.
Shipping data shows that normal commercial activity through the Strait of Hormuz has not been restored, with flows falling from 21.6 million barrels per day in late 2025 to just 4.9 million in the second quarter of 2026, according to the US Energy Information Administration. The叠加 of piracy and wartime disruptions is compounding pressure on global energy supply chains.
Sources: Splash247; Lloyd’s List; UK Maritime Trade Operations; US Energy Information Administration; Al Jazeera
discussion