Iran has announced it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture and conduct a military attack to break the US naval blockade in the Strait of Hormuz, after efforts to negotiate a permanent end to its war with the United States stalled past a critical deadline.
A senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Tehran would abandon its current defensive stance and escalate tensions across the wider region. “Iranian entities must be prepared to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and wider region, as Iran will be ready to make decisions and take action on difficult decisions,” the official said.
MOU Deadline Passes Without Deal
Monday marked the deadline by which Iran and the US were expected to reach a final peace agreement under a memorandum of understanding signed in June. The MoU was brokered to end the conflict that began with joint US-Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear and military infrastructure earlier this year. Washington ruled out extending the temporary arrangement, setting the stage for the current escalation.
Senior Iranian military commanders, including IRGC Political Deputy Yadollah Javani, had warned in recent days that Iran was preparing for offensive operations. Arab intelligence officials told the Wall Street Journal that Iran’s hardline leadership, dominated by IRGC Commander Major General Ahmad Vahidi, is preparing the armed forces to “widen the war” and “raise costs” for the United States and its allies.
Strait of Hormuz Tensions Intensify
The Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly 20% of the world’s oil supply transits, has been the focal point of the conflict since Iran attempted to enforce its interpretation of the MoU by attacking ships that tried to bypass its control of the waterway. The US naval blockade has been in place for weeks, driving oil prices above $100 per barrel and pushing US gasoline to record August highs.
Iran also reportedly launched two drones targeting Iraqi Kurdish leaders in Erbil on August 17, though neither Iran nor any other party has confirmed responsibility for the strikes. The KRG security agency reported no casualties.
“Tehran would conduct a timely and precise military attack to break the US naval blockade if diplomacy failed,” the senior Iranian official told Reuters.
The collapse of the Hormuz deal and Iran’s pivot to offensive operations mark a dramatic escalation in a conflict that has already disrupted global energy markets, strained alliances, and raised fears of a wider regional war. Analysts warn that an Iranian attempt to physically break the blockade could trigger a direct naval confrontation between Iranian and American forces in one of the world’s most strategically vital waterways.
Sources: Reuters; Wall Street Journal; Al Jazeera; Institute for the Study of War
discussion