Mastodon Skip to content
live markets
S&P 5007,707.98▲ 3.36%NASDAQ26,331.09▲ 3.18%DOW53,463.05▲ 2.52%GOLD4,554.70▲ 13.58%WTI84.49▲ 1.51%BRENT91.79▲ 2.88%EUR/USD1.1682▲ 2.22%USD/JPY158.44▼ 2.51%DXY98.83▼ 2.14%BTC$69,048▲ 7.70%ETH$2,244▲ 17.80%SOL$84.37▲ 10.50%TOTAL CRYPTO$2.38T▲ 4.44%
pulseofnations.
UTC --:--NYC --:--LON --:--WAW --:-- bluesky ↗ Join the wire

Israel Strikes Syrian Air Base to Block Turkish Troops

Eight Israeli strikes hit Abu Duhur air base in Idlib to prevent Turkish military deployment, drawing international condemnation.

Partner Surfshark VPN

Israel carried out eight airstrikes on a military air base in northwest Syria early Tuesday, saying it aimed to prevent Turkish troops from deploying at the facility in a significant escalation between the two regional rivals.

The strikes hit the runway of the Abu Duhur air base in Syria’s northwestern Idlib province, causing damage but no casualties, according to Syrian state television. The base had been out of service for years during Syria’s civil conflict but had recently been undergoing rehabilitation by Turkey, a major backer of Syria’s government.

Netanyahu Sends a “Clear Message”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had sent a “clear message” to Turkey over its alleged plans to establish a military foothold in Syria. “We will not tolerate a Turkish military foothold moving south. Because it threatens us,” Netanyahu said in an interview on Wednesday.

Netanyahu claimed Israel acted after receiving intelligence that Turkey intended to establish itself at an airport south of its existing line near Aleppo. “Now we saw that there was an intention of Turkey to establish itself in an airport south of its line near Aleppo. And we sent a message,” he said. When asked whether the message had been received, Netanyahu replied: “The message got through, but apparently they didn’t hear it. So we made sure they understood it better.”

Syria’s Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shibani condemned the “Israeli aggression,” calling the strikes “an unjustified provocation, a violation of Syria’s sovereignty, and a direct threat to regional and global stability.”

Turkey Rejects Claims, International Condemnation Mounts

Turkey rejected Israel’s allegations, saying the claims aimed to “legitimise Israel’s unlawful airstrikes targeting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Syria.” Turkey’s Presidential Communications Directorate accused Netanyahu of pursuing “expansionist and destabilising policies” in the region.

The strikes drew broad international condemnation. Tom Barrack, the US ambassador to Turkey and special envoy to Syria, said Washington was “deeply concerned” and called the airstrikes “an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability.” Qatar, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and the UK also issued statements condemning the attacks.

Haaretz reported that Israel’s strike was largely intended as a direct message to both Syrian and Turkish leaders, following specific intelligence indicating Damascus was preparing to allow Turkish troops on Syrian territory.

Sources: AP News; The Tribune India; Haaretz; OPB; The Times of Israel

React to this dispatch
Share this dispatch X WhatsApp Report an error

discussion

Join the discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next dispatch UAE Imposes Indefinite Trade Embargo on Iran Read →